Thursday, January 3, 2008

When is a cold just a cold? Only one way to find out!

So, it's been almost a week since this head cold set in. It hasn't really gotten that much better or worse. Up until yesterday I've been able to get in all of my workouts including a very wet and muddy 1hr 45min Mt. bike ride on New Year's Eve. Also another 1hr 45min big gear interval workout on my TT bike on New Year's Day. Both felt very good, but the BG workout was sooo cold and windy! I decided to take yesterday day off as it feels like the cold is now migrating south to my chest. I don't feel much better today, just well rested. It is getting frustrating as my legs feel completely fresh and ready to go, but I'm struggling with the worry of doing 1+ hour runs in the cold rain and long swims in a chilly pool because I don't want to make it worse. I'm to the point now that I am ready to see what happens if I do push it. I plan to run 10 miles at lunch today followed by a 3200 yd swim after work. Then depending on how I feel when I get home I may jump on the trainer for an 1.5hrs. This will be my test to see how serious this cold really is. I think I can take it. After all if I'm strong enough to fight 24 5 year olds at once I think I can whip this cold.
In unrelated news I find out in 4 weeks if I'm getting laid off. Up until now I have had my fingers secretly crossed hoping that I would be let go. The package that is being given is a pretty sweet deal. I would essentially be on the payroll as an employee from the end of March through mid July. But I learned from an inside source yesterday that it's "highly unlikely" that I'll be affected. At first I was a little bummed but after letting it sink in I was actually a little relieved. Although I'm ready to move on, 2008 is going to be a big year with racing and traveling. This equates to a lot of expenses, so it's probably better to have a constant income flowing in right now. In an earlier post I mentioned I didn't know what my dream job was and I didn't want to jump ship until I had a direction to swim. I think I am making some progress there. I have been thinking a lot about what I truly enjoy and have figured some stuff out. I am planning to explore these areas a little more over the next few months to see if it's really something I want to pursue. I'm not going to spill the beans yet. I've learned over the last year that being too open with some things really forces me to put a lot of pressure on myself if I decide to change direction at the last minute (which I often do). I will say this though, the path I'm looking at is in no way a lucrative one. It would mean a major pay cut, at least for a while. But if I could find the right situation I think it would be pretty cool. Nothing else new right now, I've got a 6 hr ride on Saturday and a funky workout on Sunday (1hr bike/2500yd swim/16 mile run/1hr bike all back to back) that should fill the weekend nicely. 14 weeks to go...

No comments: