Monday, December 31, 2007

Another week, another head cold...

Saturday I awoke to a stuffed up head and no energy. Another damn head cold. I'm averaging about one a month these days. Not sure what's going on. Anyway I decided to head out for my 4 hr ride anyway. The first hour was ok, cold but not raining. After that though the rain came, and it was heavy. I ended up making it 3 hours. This was followed by absolutely nothing for the remainder of the day. Sunday I woke up and was completely stuffed up. Fortunately I still have prescription Sudafed from a previous cold so I popped a couple of those. Met up with some of the group at Portland Running Company to see how long I could make it. To my surprise I was able to run the full 2 hrs. (16 miles). I was a little slow (7:47 pace) but happy I got it in. This too was followed by more napping and football watching. I did manage to do an easy hour on the trainer in the evening though to make up for the shortened ride on Saturday.
What now? Scott just posted my January calendar and wow... I'm going to be in good shape for AZ. I have a 23 hr week this week (which includes a 6 hr ride on Saturday) and another in two weeks. I think it's doable though. It is going to require some major time management and maybe a vacation day or two from work, but it can be done. The one thing I think I need to re-evaluate is my bike to work frequency. I am wondering if it is contributing to my constant head cold battle? I do have to get up about an hour earlier and it seems to always be raining. Not sure. I think during these bigger weeks I may need to cut back to once or twice a week. It's still good on the days when I have EZ recovery rides. It's a good way to get them done. I just feel bad because I don't want to be responsible for killing anymore Polar bears by driving my car. This is the picture I try to visualize when I drive now. It makes me not feel so bad. I'm actually saving a seal or two!!

No comments: