Thursday, January 24, 2008

First ride on the new whip.


I picked up the new Isaac on Tuesday night from Athlete's Lounge. I couldn't wait to ride it so I threw it on the trainer for an hour and half. It is soo comfortable! I also got the new Power Tap installed and working for the most part. It seems a little temperamental especially when subject to below freezing temps (more on that in a sec). While riding on the trainer I did notice some flexing of the bottom bracket while pushing the bigger the gears. The Isaac frame is designed to be pretty thin to keep the weight down. For this reason I don't think it's ideal for a trainer since the trainer locks down the rear stays increasing stress on other areas especially during harder workouts. So Jen had a brilliant idea! Build up the old Guru frame for trainer use only. I have most of the parts needed, I just need to dig up a crank and some derailleurs. I think this will be a good use for the old Guru, and if the frame breaks the worst thing that can happen is a little carpet burn.


Yesterday I was able to get the Issac out on the road for a couple hours. I'm still amazed at how well it fits me and how light it is. I wasn't able to tell how fast I was going as the Power Tap was only working intermittently. Once I was home I went to do some trouble shooting and it was working fine. Upon further investigation into the owner's manual I found the a note that mentioned that the PT may not function properly in temps under 32 degrees. It was definitely colder then that yesterday at 11am in North Plains! All and all though I think the Isaac was a good choice. I'm looking forward to the next dry opportunity to get it outside!

No comments: