Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Guru - The final chapter

Motherly instincts are a little scary sometimes. After my last debacle with the Guru (my Tri bike) being damaged on the flight home from AZ I had it inspected to ensure there were no hair line cracks anywhere. Cracked carbon is a very bad thing. From what I've read and heard Carbon doesn't slowly come apart once cracked. Instead it explodes like a 1977 Ford Pinto that's been rear ended at a stop light (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcNeorjXMrE). Ok, maybe it doesn't actually catch on fire, but it is still supposed to be pretty dramatic. Anyway, I was having issues with the headset continually coming loose even thought the bolt was tight. I took it in to have it fixed and they found the spacers in the head tube were oval'd. It appeared it was caused by some sort of impact to the front fork. Well... my bike case is the fork mount type and based on the previous damage the impact occurred at the front of the case. So this issue was also likely caused by the same incident. Upon further inspection they also noticed a pretty big crack on the down tube behind the front wheel just below the head tube. Based on were the crack is it also appears to have been caused by the same impact. I typically keep my bike pretty clean so I think I would have noticed this in the past. This is why I think the crack through the paint is relatively new. So... I think the Guru saga has come to an end. I am going to test ride a new bike tomorrow. Fortunately I can salvage most of the components so I only need to replace the frame. I think it will be cheaper and much easier then trying to get the Guru fixed. So back at the beginning when I mentioned instincts... After the Guru was damaged initially my sister ( the mother of my 2 year old niece) told me she had a very bad feeling about the bike and wanted me to get a new one. I figured she was just paranoid because my brother-in-law's new steel road bike had broken causing him to crash pretty hard just a couple months earlier. Guess she was right. So what am I looking at as a replacement? Well, Athlete's Lounge has an Isaac (made in the Netherlands) http://www.isaac-bikes.com/uploads/pics/Aerotic_white-Kopie.jpg. If that doesn't workout then I will look at the Scott Plasma http://www.scottusa.com/us_en/category/71/plasma or the new Wilier Cento http://wilier-usa.com/#id=bikes&bike=centoc. Kind of a pain in the ass so close to the race and to have to have to spend the money. But much better then face planting into the pavement at 22 mph in the middle of nowhere. Since I'm a trophy husband I've got nothing if I loose my looks!

No comments: