Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Colder then a witch's teat

Wow is was cold this morning. In two hours I am heading outside for my tempo run (5 x 3 min zone 5 with 2 min recovery). One hour total with warm up and cool down. Should be nice and chilly. My fingers are crossed that the Isaac will be ready to come home tonight. My road bike doesn't fit on my trainer so I have been very limited on my riding for the past week. Larry at Athlete's Lounge has been diligently working to get it put together and ready to go. I have 90 min spin tonight and 2.5 hours tomorrow. Based on the outside temp I would rather not have to do all of it outside. Of course if the new bike is ready I will have to ride it for as long as I can outside since tomorrow could be the last dry day for weeks.

With the bike "issues" last week I unfortunately missed a significant amount of time in saddle. Scott had me scheduled for 12.5 hrs of riding last week and I only managed to get in 6 hrs. The Saturday ride that was supposed to be 6 hrs ended up as only 3. It was a tough one. Mid thirties and rain made it very challenging. It was nice to have a group to suffer with though. If I had been by myself I would likely have pulled over to the side of the road for a good cry. Knowing I was only going to get in half of the time I tried to push the pace and effort a little more. After the ride I was definitely tired and my legs were done. Because of this I'm not too worried about the time missed. I think the quality was there. Total for last week was 15.5 hrs with 48 miles of running, 13k yrds in the pool and 107 miles on the bike.

On a different note I have a terrible confession to make. I am hooked on a new TV show that is some what embarrassing. No, it's not American Gladiator (although this is a good show to watch on the trainer). It's Celebrity Rehab on VH1. The only reason I am publicly admitting this is because I found some relevance to training and nutrition while watching the show recently. The show is about a group of B list celebrities that come into rehab for various addictions all while being filmed. What I found interesting is how they talk about the drugs and alcohol. Describing how they would take the pills or what they would drink with so much enthusiasm. It reminded me how I am with sugar. I LOVE sugar! Nothing better then a big piece of Pumpkin Cheese Cake or a big 'ol hot fudge sundae. When I talk about it I am reminded of how some of the people on the show describe taking a handful of pills with a Jack Daniels chaser or smoking a big fat blunt. Granted you can't compare a piece of cheesecake to a line of cocaine, but I think the addiction part is pretty similar. There are times of the day and certain situations when I crave sugar. It's like this part of my mind takes over and I can rationalize it with no issue. Whether I tell myself I can have a piece of chocolate because I am running in couple hours or maybe it's the Snicker bar on the long ride that's ok because I've been riding for 3 hours. For the most part I eat pretty healthy compared to the average American. Even when I do splurge I'll have frozen yogurt instead of ice cream or a Skinny Cow instead of a real ice cream sandwich. I just found it strange that I was able to relate to these hardcore addicts at some level and see some of the same traits. Not really surprising I suppose, as I've have a history of addictions. I guess it started with food, which is how I got so over weight early one. Then there was smoking. Now it's caffeine and exercise in addition to sugar. All things considered it could be much worse, I guess I'm lucky I've made the decisions I have (triathlon over meth). With that being said I'm off to finish my coffee and go for my run!

No comments: