Monday, June 23, 2008

Too many factors!

So last week was another solid week of training. On Saturday I had another big brick workout. My last one was two weeks ago and I had crapped out on the run. After chatting with Scott about it we narrowed it down to not enough calories on the bike and probably not enough water. So I upped my malto intake on the bike and added in some gu on the run to see if that helped. So Saturday started with a ~1800 yrd swim in Hagg Lake. Then I rode 60 miles in 3 hrs followed by a 2 hr run. The run was supposed to be 2hrs 15 min but I had to cut it short. Once again I felt like crap. It was different this time though. I started out the run feeling good, but within 3 miles my HR was through the roof. It was about 85 degrees and felt very humid. Last time I did this it was only 70. So that was probably a big factor. As I continued on my run I started wheezing and was struggling to breath. Fortunately for me Jen offered to meet me half way through the run with more water since it was so warm. At this point I was out in rural Hillsboro in the middle of the big grass fields. I turned around and started to head for home and continued to feel worse. Jen had stopped a couple times on my route home to make sure I was feeling ok. At about 10 miles I was ready to quit when I met her near Athlete's Lounge. I had a mini meltdown and acted like a big baby for a second then sucked it up and continued on. I made it 14 miles total before calling it a day. I was disappointed in how the run went, but I didn't feel like I was buying myself anything by pushing those last two miles. Once home I noticed I was broken out in hives. So I am blaming this week's defeat on the heat and allergies. I think the nutrition was much better since I never really felt sick or hungry. It was just the breathing and the super high heart rate that kicked my ass. Yesterday was some Mt. biking up at Brown's Camp with some very strong Mt. Bikers. Normally I like to be pushed, but my legs wouldn't have it yesterday. I cut it short and headed home to rest up for this week.

Totals for the week:
15hrs 21 mins
swim - 10600 yrds - 4 workouts
Bike - 150 miles - 4 workouts
Run - 27.6 miles - 3 workouts


In other news... I have an interview with a journalist from the Forest Grove News-Times paper about triathlons today. Apparently there are plans in the works for Ironman Oregon and the paper is doing an article about it. They also want to do a campanion article about someone that participates in Ironman events. So my name was offered up. Should be interesting, I've never been interviewed before... I hope I don't say something stupid!! I think the article is coming out on Wednesday or Thursday of this week? Not sure about that but will keep you posted. Other then that nothing much new to report on. Sabbatical is just a week and a half away. Only one more Monday to go after today!!

No comments: