Monday, June 9, 2008

So... As I've been driving around in the Jeep over the last week I keep asking myself "how the hell could I have gone this long without owning a Jeep". I LOVE everything about this vehicle. Even the things that most people would consider reasons not to buy it in the first place. It's funny because there are not very many people that would find the joy in such a basic (by today's standards) mode of transportation based on how much you have to spend. There is some satisfaction in knowing that at anytime I could swerve off the road and explore any trail I wanted too. Have I ever done that? Not since High school, and I got stuck in the mud. But the idea of it is cool. I think what it comes down to is DNA. I think the Jeep thing is ingrained in me. My sister has the same condition. Over the years we have gone to dealerships together and test driven Jeeps on many occasions just because. Here are some photos of the Jeeps that have influenced me the most:

Here are a couple of my baby pictures. I don't remember this Jeep, but apparently we spent a lot of weekends in it with the local Jeep club.






When I turned 15 my first car was a 1976 CJ7. It was a great car, but always had "issues":


In my mid twenties I bought this one from my sister, who had originally bought it from my aunt. It was a great Jeep and I have always regretting selling it:


















So that's the story. My issues run deep, but at least there's a cure!!

1 comment:

Garren said...

Remind me to get a ride in the Jeep come December...we'll go to Browns Camp. The extra 10 hp and higher octane gas should make a sizeable difference even from the US-spec R32, i think. it's .3 faster to 60mph than the US spec. It will sure be fun as the Wrangler would be in the desert. I think Jen will end up with a Gulf version of the 4runner, called the Fortuner...cheaper than the mini Land Cruiser called the Prado.