Monday, June 9, 2008

Ramp up to IM Canada

With 11 weeks until IM Canada it is time to start the build. Last week was my biggest week since IM AZ with a total of 17 hrs of training. Up until this week my running and swimming had not been going very well. Then, all of a sudden early last week my legs came back. Not sure why, but all week they felt great. Yesterday was the biggest day of the week. I started the day with a 3600 yrd swim then did a 3 hr zone1/2 ride immediately followed by a 2 hr run. The swim and the bike felt great. I focused on getting in my nutrition on the bike to see how the run would feel based on my current plan. Something didn't go right. I felt good on the first half of the run, but on the way back started to bonk. I was out of nutrition by mile 11 and suffered the last 3 miles. Based on how I felt once I finished I think I got dehydrated. It was much warmer then I anticipated and it seemed humid. Calorie wise though I was able to take in 840 cals on the bike in 3 hrs and 323 on the run. I felt like I could have probably taken more especially with more water. So it's all about learning from those experiences and applying your findings. In the past I would have viewed yesterday as a set back and gotten discouraged. But now with what I have learned from Scott and those that I train with, I'm able to better analyze these situations and figure out how I can improve. Here's the totals for the week:
Bike - 4 rides - 180 miles
Run - 4 runs - 32 miles
Swim - 3 swims - 10200 yrds
Total - 17 hrs.


What's next... Including the Blue Lake Olympic race this coming Sunday this week is another 17 hrs. I am really looking forward to the race. After the Duck Bill race a couple weeks ago I am anxious to see if I can execute the swim and run a little better. Plus with 24 ( I think) Ironheads racing it should be a lot of fun.


Sabbatical countdown - 18 work days left. I am trying not to rub it in too much. I will really need to be conscious of this while I'm actually on sabbatical and posting updates. I know there are a lot of folks that check up on me while they are at work. I think there are even more that have jobs that don't allow them the time are means to surf the web, so they take time from their personal lives to read this. For that reason I will try not to boast too much. Based on the counter on the left side of the page I am feeling the love! I hope I can continue to keep you interested.

No comments: