Monday, March 3, 2008

4 cans of Pabst, 1 mile, and Superman equals...

The beer mile! Saturday night was my first ever attempt at the beer mile. I have to admit I was expecting the worst. For those not familiar the format is 1 12oz beer then one lap around a 1/4 mile track, repeat 4 times. There were 11 men and 4 women competing. The first Pabst went down smooth until I started running. I think I burped all the way around the track. I was a little disappointed with my time (7min, 31 sec). I was about 15 seconds off of what I thought I could do. But I definitely under estimated how challenging it would be to chug a beer after sprinting a 1/4 mile. It's hard to breath and drink at the same time! It was fun though, the winner (Jay) did it in 6:22. Oh, and Superman came in 3rd (that would Dave E in a Superman costume). It always sucks to get beat by someone in a costume! Oh well, Dave's fast, so that takes a little of the sting off. At least he wasn't wearing a fairy costume (probably next year).

I was a little concerned going into this because I had a 2hr 40 min run scheduled for Sunday morning. SO my plan was to purge after the race in hopes of by passing the after effects of 48oz of beer in 7 mins. Can't say I didn't try! I even stood next to others that were honking their brains out and I couldn't get nothing to come up. Within about 10 mins I could start to feel it. I had a good buzz for most of the evening but hit the water hard (and the pizza). Was in bed by 11 and up by 7am on Sunday. Feeling tired and little hung over Jen and I headed to Forest Park. I managed to squeak out 21 miles in 2:42 and felt surprisingly good. Headed home for a hard nap and a 4500 yrd swim later in the day. Tough swim, 4x1000 IM race pace with a little warm up and cool down. Half way through I was invaded by a beginner swim class of about 15 people. It was chaos all round me. It reminded me of the scene in Caddy Shack when the caddies invade the pool at the country club. Total anarchy for about 20 mins! People in t-shirts trying to do the butterfly. Some dude in an American flag print Speedo. I guess it was good practice as I tried to stay focused on my form and pace. Saturday was a 70 mile ride with 2x25 mile race watt intervals. Rode out to Sauvies and did them there. Ran into one pretty good shower, but only the one. Rode with some Ironheads I came across on the island for about 30 mins. It was a pretty good ride overall. Totals for the week:
Bike: 146 miles
Swim: 16200 yds
Run: 44 miles
Total: 18hrs 21 mins
Friday I fly to Palm Springs to start the CPC camp. I think it is going to be a very rewarding week of training! I bought a new camera yesterday and I' taking my laptop so I'll post pictures and updates regularly.

1 comment:

Dave Ciaverella, Odyssey Coaching said...

By the way Bill...since I managed a 1 second victory over you in the Beer mile, I decided to run 2:40.01 for my long run Sunday.

Cheers
Ciaverella