Friday, March 28, 2008

Going Mental

Almost two weeks out from Ironman AZ. This is when the mental struggles begin for me. In the past I would have started thinking back on my training and wonder "did I do enough". I also typically start worry about my nutrition plan and my bike setup. I basically start to question everything. This year is a little different, but not entirely. I had a little heart to heart with myself in the sauna yesterday after my run. I had been studying the AZ results from last year trying to figure out what I could do. I think this is ok, but too much focus on the numbers is not good. I've decided to shift my focus now. I have a plan and if I execute it well then my time is what it is. I have confidence in my fitness level this year, more so then I ever have. I have a nutrition plan that I have used on all of my long runs and rides that seems to work well too. Having a power meter on the bike gives me the ability to monitor my effort real time rather then relying on HR and perceived effort alone. So that just leaves the things I cannot control. It looks like the weather is going to be warm. The avg temp over the last few weeks has been ~ 85 degrees. There has been some wind out of the southwest everyday, so those two things will play a major role on the day. But I am ok with that. I feel like I made peace with the wind in Palm Springs, and with a power meter I can manage my power expenditure much easier.
So the next week will be tying up all of the loose ends such as getting my new rear wheel and prepping it. Doing a test run and ride with all of my race gear to make sure everything works. Then comes the packing. It will be nice to have a full week in AZ prior to the race to get settled and make sure we have everything in order. I'm expecting big things out of this race, and by big things I mean I expect to execute my plan to the best of my ability and make adjustments along the way as needed. So I'm still putting pressure on myself, but not based on how fast I go according to the clock, but rather how focused I stay on my plan and how well I push through the "rough" patches. I've learned more this year then ever thanks to a lot of talented people that have been where I want to be. So now I will concentrate on applying all of that and getting it done! Oh ya, and having fun too...

No comments: