Monday, May 5, 2008

Goals - How to set them

I think I am finally learning something about Triathlon and competition in general, and that's how to set goals. This past Saturday was the HF sprint triathlon in Hillsboro. Last year at this race was the first time I had ever gotten an overall podium spot (I was 2nd). This year I knew 2nd would be a challenge since I was only 3 weeks from IM AZ and the competition I did know is really strong this year. As a goal I really wanted to finish in the top 3, but that's one of those things you don't really have much control over. If there are more then 2 people there on that day that are faster then you... you're screwed. So based on what I knew about the course and my current fitness level I decided my main focus would be to break an hour. From the Ironheads, Garren (defending champ) and Aleck were both racing. Both are much stronger swimmers then I am. We are all pretty tightly matched on the bike and the run. And that's how it played out. I did have a swim PR by 37 seconds, but I was still way behind. As expected I wasn't able to make up much time on the bike. On the run I was able to get close enough early on to see Garren and Aleck battling it out. About a half mile in as I'm enjoying the race going on in front of me I heard the dreaded sound of foot steps. I could tell who ever was coming up on me was coming fast. As he passed I knew that was it. You can always tell who the fast runners are in these events. I had passed this guy on the bike and thought to myself as I went by "Uh oh, he could be a runner". I guessed right. He took off and ended up catching Garren as well. So, like I said in my last post, you never know who's going to show up. As I approached the finish line I looked at my watch and realized I had 30 seconds left if I wanted to break an hour. I picked it up and was able to squeak in at 59:55. That last mile was painful! The Ironheads overall had a great showing. It's so much more fun to do these races with a dozen of your friends rather then hanging out by yourself not knowing anyone, like I used to do.


Tattoos - We did it! We went on Saturday after the race and got some ink. Jen was a trooper and went first. In honor of her two Ironman finishes she went with the M-dot:















Next it was my turn. I had Murphy's paw print done on my leg:















And I also had my old Rhino tattoo touched up. It had gotten pretty faded from too much sun over the last 8 years:


No comments: