Thursday, November 1, 2007

The Curse Of The Guru

I'm sure most of you have heard of my trials and tribulations with my TT bike that I bought earlier this year. My struggle to get the fit right, how Gateway Bikes screwed me over on the front fork, yadda, yadda, yadda. Well... the troubles continue. Upon returning home on Monday night from AZ I opened my bike case to find some pretty serious damage to the top tube. I inspected the case and found some deep gauges in the outside of it. I pulled the bike out of the case yesterday and put it back together. I can't find any structural damage to the frame, but the top tube has a very large nick in it that goes into the carbon fiber. I did some research on line and found the process to repair something like this requires many complicated steps and materials that I have no idea how to work with. I called Guru today and they have requested I send the frame back for a thorough inspection just to make sure there is no unseen damage that could cause the frame to fail. I think this is wise since the impact required to create this level of damage had to have been severe. The dilemma I am facing is if it's only cosmetic do I pay the money to have Guru fix it or do I do some half ass repair job myself? To have Guru fix it will cost me at least $1k since the entire frame would need to be repainted based on were the damage is and how deep it is. If the top tube needs to be replaced it would likely be an additional $500. Or do I buy some paint from a hobby shop and doctor it up myself? The other option is I find someone local that can paint it a basic flat black. Something durable and plain so I don't have to worry about it looking like crap. Not sure what to do at this point. I guess I'll wait to hear back from Guru on what they find. One things for sure, I'm getting tired of buying nice things only to have them get damaged because of someone else's carelessness. Whether it's the bike getting damaged, or the door dings and scratches on my car. Makes me want to ride/drive an old piece of crap just so I don't have to stress about this kind of thing happening anymore!

No comments: