Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Out of Hidding

Well I've been refraining from posting anything this past week because I knew it would be whinny and bitchy. One week ago today after a wet & windy run I started to feel like I was getting sick. The next day it was a full blown head cold. I was a little dissapointed but figured it would pass quickly as they usually do. No luck. After taking a lot of time off I wasn't feeling any better yesterday. So I decided to go to the doctor (first time in many years) and see if it was a sinus infection. Turns out it is not, just a very aggressive head cold that needs to run it's course. I went for a run last night and felt ok. My HR is still a little higher then it should be, but it was ok.

Soma: We fly on Thursday to AZ and the race is Sunday. During the last week I missed most of my workouts, however I did manage a 1.5 hr ride on the trainer Saturday morning followed by a 20 min t-run on the treadmill at the gym. It wiped me out for the rest of the weekend, but I am happy I did something. Not sure how much missing the last week will impact me on race day. I'm sure I've lost some fitness though. My bigger concern at this point is getting back to 100% before the race so I my HR returns to normal and I can race as well as my current fitness will allow. Forecast right now is for sunny and a high of 89. That should put it at ~80 degrees during the run.

Two weeks ago I had hopes of breaking 4.5 hrs and maybe even placing in my age group. Now I just want to feel good and race the best I can. So I guess the cold has taken some self induced pressure off, but I am really fighting back the frustration. I know it could be a lot worse. Hopefully I wasn't too whinny in this update. Just a couple days ago I was moping around the house driving Jennifer crazy. Last night I officially declared that "I'm no longer sick". We'll see if a positive attitude speeds up recovery.

No comments: