Monday, October 15, 2007

Back on track

Not sure what was up last week with my training. I have to assume I was on the verge of catching the sinus infection Jen had. That's the only explanation I can really come up with for why I felt crummy all week and felt so bad in the half marathon. As a comparison I ran 17 miles yesterday and the last 13 miles of it I was only 1 min slower then I was in the race. The big difference was heart rate. In the race my avg was 171, yesterday it was 154. That's a big difference for only 1 minute. Oh well, I would much rather have that issue on a training run then in Soma next week. Hopefully I got it out of my system. My swims were down this week. I had a tough workout on Thursday with 1800 yrds of paddles out of 3700 yrds. Afterward I had some shoulder pain that was a little concerning. I decided to skip my Friday workout to let it heal. I swam today and it's good to go now. This week's summary:

Total time: 16:39
Bike: 139 miles
Run: 46.5 miles
Swim: 7100 yrds

As I drove to work this morning in the rain I was bummed that the nice weather is over. At least until we get to AZ next week (forecast is Sunny and 90). This weekend was perfect. 70 mile ride Saturday near Estacada and Boring with some good climbs and great company! Immediately following was the 5+ mile run with 600 ft of climbing (including 300+ stairs). Needless to say I was down for the count when I got home. Nothing better then laying on the floor in the sun half asleep listening to football on a Saturday afternoon. Sunday after the run and breakfast we watched Garren race his first Cat A cross race. This was also a scouting mission for me to observe the proper method to mount and dismount. The only issue is the cat A guys make it look way too easy. They are good to watch for the technique, but I think I need to watch the Cat C guys too so I can see that not everyone is so smooth. I don't want to be the only bumbling fool out there who can't get his foot out of his cleat fast enough and bails into a barrier. Or worse yet, times the mount wrong racks is doo-dads on the back of the seat. As you can probably tell, I am a little stressed about this whole cross thing. But I'm going to try it!! I just hate trying new sports when there are spectators around, because I know when I see someone fall down I laugh.

No comments: