Wednesday, November 5, 2008

I Witnessed it...

I'm not one that discusses my religious beliefs or political views very often. However, last night left a big impression on me. On my flight up to Washington this morning on the Intel shuttle I had some time to think about the election. Ever since I was in grade school I have learned about all of the significant events in US history that have led to progress. I've always been a little jealous of the generations before mine that have witnessed these milestones. Up to this point in my life the only true monumental events I've experienced have been tragic. Watching the election coverage last night and seeing people brought to tears of joy over something that we as a society voted for was amazing. I will admit up until this point I have never really felt a true connection with my country. I've always felt that if we are such a great nation then why are we so hated around the world? Just last week I learned of a co-worker traveling to Venezuela. For safety reasons she had to purchase a Canadian passport cover so people wouldn't know she was from the US. It's hard to be proud of your country when you have to pretend you're from another. But last night proved to me that we are heading in the right direction. Even if Obama sits in the Oval office for four years with his feet on the desk and does nothing things will still get better. I don't think anyone person can fix things. But the excitement and hope that he has created within my generation and others, I think will re-inspire people to make positive changes. Don't get me wrong, there are still a huge number of people that are against this move, and I don't think that will ever change. But personally I love change. I thrive on it. I liked when Brian Williams held up a poster of the previous 43 presidents last night and they all looked the same, old and white. Change is good once in awhile. Thanks for listening to me ramble.

No comments: