Monday, September 24, 2007

Should I Stay or Should I Go...

About a year ago I made the decision that I was going to leave Intel and go back to school. At the time I was hating my job because it was not challenging or rewarding in anyway. Jen supported my quarter life crisis 100%. But she also helped me realize that this process needed to be done in steps. We've completed many of these steps over the last year (down sized our expensive SUV, downsized to a condo, ect...). Doing all of these things has freed up a lot of money. Now that we are in the position financially for me to quit I am starting to notice something. Suddenly my job isn't terrible. It's still not very challenging or rewarding, but I am able to get 20 plus hours a week of training in with no issue. Also, there isn't that financial monkey on our backs that is beating on my head everyday as I drive to work reminding me that I have to go sit in my gray cube for 8 hrs so we can pay the bills. The pay is great, especially with no degree, and the benefits are very good too. The other big thing I struggle with is I am eligible for retirement in 14 years. Intel has the rule of 75 (age + years of service). Since I started here at age 18 I am eligible at 48. After talking to a lot of people about my situation I am starting to realize how good I have it. There is something to be said for taking a chance though and going for your dream. But I am finding that I don't know exactly what that "dream" is yet (well, besides being a race car driver). There are things that I think sound interesting, but nothing that I absolutely, without a doubt, want to do with my life. I think that's what concerns me the most. I want to be able to retire young, or do something I LOVE for a living. I don't want to wind up working somewhere I don't like, that doesn't pay well, and not be able to retire until I'm old. I think I am going to wait and see. Maybe someday that dream job will become odvious. Until then I will definitely stay with Intel until my sabbatical next July (8 weeks off paid, another perk) and see what happens. Worst case if my job changes and I can't deal with it we are in the position now that I can tell them to shove it! Ok, I might not do that, but it feels very good to know that I could if I really wanted too.

No comments: