Thursday, June 14, 2007

An evening in the lake

Jen and I decided to head to Hagg Lake last night to get some time in our wetsuits before CDA and the swim this weekend. Headed out yesterday afternoon about 5:30, got there just after 6pm. The sun was shinning and a light breeze was blowing, it was a perfect afternoon! We crammed into our wetsuits and headed down to the water. It was nice, low 60's. As we headed out the water got a little cooler but not bad. The best part came as I stopped about midway into the swim. I treaded water for a minute and realized that I was about a 3rd of a mile from shore. It occurred to me that most people wouldn't do stuff like this. Work all day, drive 30 miles to swim out into the middle of a lake just because. What made this realization even better was when I turned around and Jennifer swam up behind me, stopped and smiled. It made me realize also how lucky I am to have someone that "gets it" too. There are not very many people out there that would bob around in a 60 degree lake with me on a Wednesday afternoon. After heading out a little farther we turned around and went back. There a couple dozen moments I've had in my life when I've stopped and taken in something that was extra-ordinary. This one was two fold as I not only appreciated the fact that I'm not normal (one of my biggest fears), but also how lucky I am to have someone else that is not normal too.

No comments: