Thursday, December 11, 2008

End of an era

One more day to go here at Intel. I'm getting anxious to start at Columbia. From what I hear it should be pretty busy there, I'm looking forward to serving a purpose. Tomorrow is a formality. I come in and hand over my laptop and my badge. Then I'm out the door. It really hasn't set in yet. 15 years is a long time, especially when your only 34. I've basically grown up here. Being 18 when I started, then meeting Jen. I've spent more time here then I did in school. Probably the thing I am most excited about is the change. EVERYTHING will be different. My route to work, my co-workers, where I swim and run during the day. It's a fresh start, something I could never get by staying with Intel. Based on how excited I am about that alone just proves how ready I am to make this move. Regardless of what happens in the long run I have zero regrets about giving this a go. And did I mention the employee store? We went on Sunday to check it out. I walked in and there were fleeces everywhere. I admit, I love fleece! I walked in and felt like I was home, finally! No regrets!
Training has been going well. I am still having Graston done on my Achilles but it is pretty much pain free at this point. I've decided not to do the marathon since I have missed so much training. Instead I am switching focus to the California Half Ironman in April. I love this course and I think I can have a good race there. My swimming is going really well right now, and I'm thinking about joining a masters team. I'm starting to get some bike fitness back, and the running seems solid even after a couple of light weeks. The key will be sticking to it once I start the new job. It will likely take a little time to adjust to a new schedule, but others are able to do it with much more demanding jobs. I'm looking forward to the challenge of making it work. I'm starting to get excited about next season!!

No comments: