Friday, August 3, 2007

Blue Lake Sprint - Always the Brides Maid...

Blue lake Sprint last Sunday, July 29th. Went into the race with high hopes of a top 5 finish (secretly wanted to win it). This was one of my goals for the year. The best I have ever done on this course was 17th with a time of 1:10. It was not the Tri NW qualifier this year so I figured the competition wouldn't be as tough as previous years, so I had to associate a time goal as well (sub 1:07).
Swim:
Went out hard to the first buoy. Made the turn and noticed a set of feet in front of me. I stayed as close as I could and held on. My pace felt right on and felt I was working to keep up. Worked out pretty well. PR'd the swim by almost a minute.
Bike:
Once on the bike I cranked as hard as could until I got up on to Marine drive. Once on the road I settled in put my head down. My HR seemed on the high side today. Probably still recovery from the damn hill repeats at the Perkin's! Passed 4 people before getting the 205 bridge. After passing the last person I couldn't see anyone else in front of me. For about 2 mins I though for sure I was leading the wave. Just as the turn around came into sight I noticed someone rounding it. Crap! Apparently I wasn't leading. As the guy passed heading back I started to do the calculations. I was really going to have to push to catch this guy. I rounded the cone to head back and put my head down and cranked as hard as I could. With a little tail wind pushing me I was able to keep it over 26 mph all the way back with HR over 180 all the way. As I swung my leg over to dismount I feel the wobbling. I knew it was going to be a tough run. AS I was running into T2 Aleck (the leader) was running out. T2 was pretty quick for me and out I went.
Run:
HR was really high now (and you thought 180 was high) about 183. I could see him in front of me for the entire run but he never got any closer. After mile 2 I realized I wasn't going to catch him as I was running as fast I could and not making up any ground. I finished 2nd overall by 25 seconds. Looking back there was nothing I feel I could have differently. I lost it in the swim and ran out of road to make it up. I'm happy with second but definitely not satisfied! Back to the pool! After the race I chatted with Aleck briefly, turns out he is also training with Scott McMillan. That made me feel a little better. Met my goal of top five, had the fastest bike split and went sub 1:07 (1:06:48). Not a bad day overall.

1 comment:

Sarah McMillan said...

Hello Bill!
Excellent race to you both at CDA and great race report. Hey-Peeing off the bike is overated. Actually its really only best used when someone is sucking your wheel. Can come in very handy then! Enjoy your new place and congrats on Blue Lake Sprint as well. We enjoyed meeting you both in CDA.
Cheers, Sarah